Epic hikes of the world
With stories of 50 incredible hiking routes in 30 countries, from New Zealand to Peru, plus a further 150 suggestions, Lonely Planet’s Epic Hikes of the World will inspire a lifetime of adventure on foot. From one-day jaunts and urban trails to month-long thru-hikes, cultural rambles and mountain expeditions, each journey featured is truly epic.
With stories of 50 incredible hiking routes in 30 countries, from New Zealand to Peru, plus a further 150 suggestions, Lonely Planet’s Epic Hikes of the World will inspire a lifetime of adventure on foot. From one-day jaunts and urban trails to month-long thru-hikes, cultural rambles and mountain expeditions, each journey shares one defining feature: being truly epic.
In this follow-up to Epic Bike Rides and Epic Drives, we share our adventures on the world’s best treks and trails. Epic Hikes is organised by continent, with each route brought to life by a first-person account, beautiful photographs and charming illustrated maps. Additionally, each hike includes trip planning advice on how to get there, where to stay, what to pack and where to eat, as well as recommendations for three similar hikes in other regions of the world.
Hikes featured include:
Africa & the Middle East:
- Cape Town’s Three Peaks (South Africa)
- Kilimanjaro (Tanzania)
- Camp to Camp in South Luangwa National Park (Zambia)
- Angel’s Landing, Zion National Park (USA)
- Skyline Trail, Jasper National Park (Canada)
- ConcepciÃ³n volcano hike (Nicaragua)
- 88 Sacred Temples of Shikoku Pilgrimage (Japan)
- Markha Valley (India)
- Gubeikou to Jinshanling on the Great Wall (China)
- Wordsworth’s Backyard: Dove Cottage and around Rydal and Grasmere (UK)
- Alpine Pass Route (Switzerland)
- Camino de Santiago (Spain)
- Sydney’s Seven Bridges Walk (Australia)
- The Routeburn Track (New Zealand)
- Kokoda Track (Papua New Guinea)
About Lonely Planet: Lonely Planet is a leading travel media company, providing both inspiring and trustworthy information for every kind of traveller since 1973. Over the past four decades, we’ve printed over 145 million guidebooks and grown a dedicated, passionate global community of travellers. You’ll also find our content online, on mobile, videos and in 14 languages, armchair and lifestyle books, ebooks, and more.